Monday, January 27, 2014

It's below zero...again.


So we got like 5 inches of snow this week. And now it's supposed to be a high of 2 degrees today. SICK. And the wind is blowing like crazyyyy. On the bright side, I'm finally getting a haircut today after almost 6 months...PRAISE THE HEAVENS. I've been trying to get one for a month and a half. The weather is changing everyone's schedule though. The kids here are going to be in school til July. They've only had like 6 school days so far this month. I think they're probably out today and tomorrow too.

Okay so last Monday was the usual...P-Day. Pretty good. We spent a lot of the day with the Elders, did our shoppin, washed the car (which got salty 5 minutes later...but we were obedient!), then that night we gave a church tour to our investigator M. She just asks the randomest questions about the history of the bible and I just don't know the answers. But her heart is softening, I just know it! Then we had dinner and FHE with the L's. Their grandaughter isn't officially a member but comes to church with them all the time, so it was fun to get to teach them and have a good dinner with them.

Tuesday, we mostly did contacting for most of the day, saw a lot of members, and ate that night at PastaRiffic. It was pretty good. The A's took us there cause I said I wanted to go to an original Indiana restaurant. It's an italian place run by Iraqis...funny right? It was good though. That night, we saw another member and helped her to pin an afghan to her couch.

Wednesday, we had district meeting in Frankfort then went to Wendy's (for some reason, the Elders all just love fast food...yuck. haha) and then headed back and we worked in Russiaville for a couple hours. It was pretty good. We ended up meeting the nephew of one of the members of the ward by just knocking on his door. Pretty sweet. We then had dinner with a part-member family that night. They are awesome. They also saved us because we had taken our supply box out of the car and we 2-2-4 (knock the two doors on each side and 4 across the street from anyone you visit) their neighbor and he wanted a Book of Mormon. So it was good. :) Then that night, it was a white out coming home. Probably the scariest storm I've driven in. I couldn't see anything. The car in front of us was driving on the wrong side of the road and then ran into a snowpile. It was crazy. But we made it home alive by following the mailboxes!

Thursday was a CRAZY day. So we switched up our game plan of how we are going to find new investigators...well we're in the process of making it. Anyway, we decided we'd figure out the bus system because we were running low on miles anyway so we got a map from our housing office and headed out to ride the bus (mind you that Sister W has never been on a public bus so she was a little nervous haha). So we stood at the bus stop for about 20 minutes, which the bus was supposed to be there 5 minutes after we got to the stop. And it was like -5 outside. So we were both just praying for some sort of miracle. Our eyelashes were icicles. Not like 1 minute later, this random lady named V pulled up and offered us a ride to get to the library for service. We told her we were missionaries and she was like "You have got to be kidding me. I knew God was telling me to pick you up. Will you pray for me at 1:00? I'm going through a divorce after 45 years today." She just happened to take a random route to get to a restaurant and the spirit told her to pick us up. Coincidence? I think not. God is real. TENDER MERCY. We got to talk a little about what we do and she is moving soon and has our number so hopefully she'll call us. She said she would call us, so hopefully she really does. So after doing service at the library (we got to work on digitalizing yearbooks and court orders in the genealogy department) we went to get on the bus. Turns out our schedule was super wrong and we were going to have to wait 40 minutes for the bus to our apartment, so we hopped on a different bus that would get us within a mile and we could walk. We ended up meeting this cool guy J. We started by talking about his guitar then we said we were missionaries and all the sudden like half the bus was talking to us. Pretty funny. And one guy had came to our church for 6 months. He had no teeth. And thought we couldn't have boyfriends. Then this guy J was a Wicken. Have you ever met a wicken? They're kinda crazy. It was interesting to say the least. I'm pretty sure he was high. He was telling us about how he can do magic...not like Harry Potter magic but he's getting a tiger eye wand soon. And he likes to drink blood. Weird. And he told us his grandma, who was baptist, would roll over in her grave if she knew he went to a Mormon church. I'm pretty sure she'd roll over if she knew he was Wicken! haha. Sister W was so freaked out. It was so great. Another day in the life of a missionary. We had weekly planning that day then went to the D's and ate MRE's with them. They were trying them out to see what food was best. It was pretty good. I never had an MRE before. We taught a member family and Sister H that night too. We're making family mission plans with everyone cause we need to start finding through the members! We're excited.

Friday, we had kind of a crazy day too because our housing coordinator was bringing us some box springs so our schedule got changed all around. We did some service for K (who just got married), taught a less active and the T's (Brother T just got put in the SS Presidency! Sweet!), ate with J (who just got baptized) and then helped a lady move that night. It was a solid day.

Saturday, we were grounded in the morning, so we went and helped a less-active down the street shovel then in the afternoon, we had a lesson at the Marlers with Megan (it went pretty well...she'll hopefully be at church this next week) and then we did some contacting that afternoon and found some solid potentials while 2-2-4ing., had dinner with Jacob and Kaitlyn (the newly-weds) and then Elders that night, then taught another less-active and dropped off some thank-you notes to members.

Sunday, ward council got cancelled and we only had sacrament meeting. It's funny how much they cancel church around here for a couple inches of snow. It's definitely different than Utah! Then we helped some people shovel after church (one guy had seen us on Saturday when we went to the less-actives and asked us if we were up for hire and we said we'd do it for free. He wasn't home when we shoveled but hopefully we'll get the chance to exchange our shoveling for him getting baptized! haha!). Then we did some visiting of part-member families in the afternoon, had dinner with the P's, and finished up our studies. It was a solid Sunday.

Today, it's pretty cold so we'll probably just hang out inside other than getting our normal P-Day stuff done and dinner with members tonight!

To answer letters:

I miss Tremonton Taco Time! I could go for an Ultimate with Casa Sauce right now. And a mexi-ice. Sounds like Gracie, Julian, and Liv had a lot of fun. I've been grounded more on my mission than ever! Darn snow! :) There's not even close to 24" of snow...maybe up in South Bend...but here there's about 2 or 3 on the ground. I loved the pictures. Looks like you had fun in Boise! Go Aggies...even though they lost. Send more pictures, even if they are just on email! :)

Cheer on the Seahawks this week!

Love you all! Peace and Blessin' missionary work!

-Sista Christensen

Stopped on the side of the road taking pictures of the sunset!

Indiana has pretty awesome sunsets I must say...

No comments :

Post a Comment